Housing options

There is a high demand for council and housing association housing in Camden. Many people are not eligible to apply. This is either because they haven’t lived in the borough for 5 out of the last 7 years or because they don’t have sufficient housing need. This is as assessed in the Housing Allocations Scheme. However there are other options available.

Housing options for council and housing association tenants

You can apply to swap your home with another tenant through Mutual Exchange.
You may be eligible for the Housing Moves scheme, which enables tenants who need to move to other London boroughs.
Tenants over 60 who wish to move out of London may be eligible for the Seaside and Country Homes Scheme.

Advice for private tenants

If you are a private tenant we can provide advice or information about your legal rights as a tenant on repairs, rent, security of tenure, deposits, harassment and illegal eviction.

Looking for private rented housing

Renting from a private landlord offers the quickest and most flexible housing option for most people. Over 25% of Londoners live in the private rented sector, which can provide a good quality home in the area of your choice.

Intermediate Housing

Some housing providers offer working households flats to rent at less than you would pay a private landlord. These are known as intermediate rent homes. There are also some opportunities to buy on a shared ownership basis, where you purchase a share in a property and pay rent to a housing association or a local authority on the rest. Intermediate rent and shared ownership housing is often referred to collectively as intermediate housing.

Advice for homeless people

If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness it is important to get advice as early as possible. We may be able to prevent you from becoming homeless or, in some cases, we may be able to assist you to find alternative accommodation.

Advice for people with learning disabilities

If you have a learning disability and need an easy read guide to somewhere to live in Camden, please click the link above.

British Sign Language video - housing needs

Would you like to provide feedback?(Click to show feedback form)

Please rate this page to help us improve camden.gov.uk. Please don't include your contact details as we are unable to provide responses via this form. To get in touch please click here.

Please select one of the options.

Thank you for your feedback.