Frequently asked questions for leaseholders
Billing and payment queries
- Why do I have to pay my service charges in advance?
- Am I being billed twice for Ground Rent? What is the Notice about Ground Rent that I have received with my invoice?
- I have already paid an amount for this year. Why are you asking me to pay again?
- I am already paying my invoice by instalment. Why have I received a reminder letter?
- What happens if I do not pay my service charges?
- The cost of a service has gone down e.g. caretaking, so why am I receiving an additional bill?
- How can I get more detail about my service charge?
- I can’t afford to pay my service charges.
- I don’t owe the amount you are requesting. I have made payments but they are not showing on my service charge account statement.
- I am not liable for the charges as they relate to the period before I bought the property.
- I have a credit on my account, why have you not reduced my invoice? Please issue me with an invoice reflecting the correct amount.
- My service charges are too high. Can you consider reducing them?
- I have recently received a reminder letter which I find threatening.
- My home is unoccupied/being refurbished. Do I have to pay service charges
- There was a fire at my property/block and it was uninhabitable. Do I have to pay my service charges for the period I could not live in the property?
Service charge queries about repairs
- I think I have been charged twice for repairs because the amounts are the same.
- My service charge estimate includes repairs. I never have any repairs done.
- You haven’t consulted me about this work. Why are you asking me to pay?
- I’d like to be informed when a repair job is raised for my block/estate.
- I have carried out repairs to the block myself. Why are you billing me for repairs
- What repairs am I responsible for?
Other types of service charge queries
- Why does my bill include a charge for rubbish collection when I pay for this in my council tax?
- Why does my bill include a charge for water when I already pay Thames Water
- Why does my bill include a charge for heating/hot water/gas when I already pay another utilities supplier?
- I have been charged for Gronds Maintenance but I’ve never paid for this previously.
- I pay for a police force as part of my council tax. Why am I paying again for mobile security patrol?
- Why do I have to pay for services I do not receive?
Queries about major works
- Why are my neighbour and I paying different amounts for major works?
- Am I paying for work carried out in tenants’ properties such as new kitchens and bathrooms?
- The fees for supervision and management are the same thing. Why are you charging me twice?