Regularisation is getting approval for building work after you’ve had it done.

This means checking that the work meets the building regulations.

It can be more disruptive and expensive than getting approval before doing work. It is against the law to do building work that doesn’t meet the building regulations.

Types of work that need regularisation

This is the same as work that needs building control approval.

Sell your house

You may find it hard to sell your house if you have done building work without approval.

A certificate of regularisation shows that your property meets the building regulations.

Where to get approval for completed building work

Only we can approve building work after it has been completed, not approved inspectors.


There is a fee for applying for a certificate of regularisation.

Find the fee you will pay in the scheme of charges.


To apply for a certificate of regularisation, complete the building control form.

If you have any questions, contact us:

Would you like to provide feedback?(Click to show feedback form)

Please rate this page to help us improve Please don't include your contact details as we are unable to provide responses via this form. To get in touch please click here.

Please select one of the options.

Thank you for your feedback.