Welfare rights and benefits
This section gives you basic information about claiming benefits and tax credit in a range of different circumstances.
Through the Welfare Reform Act the government is radically overhauling the benefits system. It means that if you receive benefits the amount you get and how you get it may change:
- A benefits guide for older people
- Can I get Attendance Allowance?
- Can I get Disability Living Allowance (DLA)?
- Help with the costs of a new baby
- Benefits for expectant and new mums
- Caring for children - what benefits can I claim?
- Caring for a sick child
- Going abroad - what benefits can I claim
- Benefits for long term sick or disabled people
- Looking for work
- Starting a new job
- What benefits can I claim if I am working?
- Bereavement/death in the family - what benefits can I claim
- Going in to or coming out of hospital
- Useful benefits information and links
- Benefit changes
- Council response to welfare changes
- Local social fund