Get a copy of a certificate
If you wish to obtain a marriage certificate, please note that we may not have some church or other religious institution registers (even if the institution was located in Camden). This is because we are only provided with the records after the institution completes a full register book of approximately 250 marriages which in some cases takes years.
How do I apply?
- apply in person at the Camden Register Office for the express certificate production service
- apply online if the event you require the certificate for was registered more
than three months ago
- apply by telephone for duplicate certificate requests when the original registration was less than three months ago or if you are obtaining certificates for the first time following a declaration appointment in a different district or a coroner's inquest case
Fees for certificates
One of three statutory prices will apply for your requested certificate:
- £4.00 each at the time of registration or first opportunity to obtain the certificate
- £7.00 each for when your entry is held in an incomplete register by the registrar often lasting approximately 1-3 months from the time of registration
- £10.00 each for duplicate certificates issued by the superintendent registrar when the entry was created more than 1-3 months ago
- Download: full
list of fees for certificates (PDF)
Express certificate production service
What does the service offer?
If you want a certificate urgently you can choose this service. We will treat your application as a priority above other applications and start to work on it straight away.
We would produce the certificate as soon as possible, usually on the same day (excluding pre 1900 entries). Please note that some older certificates may take longer as the indexes take more time to search for the correct entry.
If you place an order before 12noon it will be ready by 4pm on the same day but if it is after 12noon then it will be ready by 4pm on the next working day.
How much does the service cost?
The express service costs £15 on top of the statutory price of the certificate. This is regardless of number of copies for the same entry, but excluding pre-1900 certificates.
When can I use the service?
If you wish to apply online for the express service, please note that the cut-off time is 12noon for the same day service and this will be ready by 4pm. If we receive your application after 12noon your certificate will be ready by 4pm on the next working day.
Please ensure you leave the correct telephone number on your express application, as we will call you to let you know when it is ready for collection. Alternatively, if you would like us to post your certificate, we will ensure it is posted to you by 4pm (normally first class post) on the same day that you apply.
Do I have to use the service?
No - you can order your certificate without paying the express fee. In such cases your certificates will be processed within 7 days (often sooner) and we can either post them to you or you can collect them from our offices.
If you wish to search our indexes in person, there is a fee. This is in addition to the fees for each certificate requested.
- Download: full list of fees for certificates (PDF)
Obtaining certificates from the General Register Office
If you prefer, a certificate can be obtained from the General Registrar Office,
quoting their full reference (Year, Quarter, Volume and Page):