New administration elected to run Camden Council
Councillors tonight (Wednesday 24 May) appointed a new administration to run the council following the local elections on 4 May.
The twenty Liberal Democrat and fourteen Conservative councillors voted onto the council will work together in a Partnership Administration.
Councillors voted Cllr Keith Moffitt (Lib Dem) as Leader of the Council and Cllr Andrew Marshall (Con) as Deputy Leader on Wednesday 24 May - the first Full Council meeting since the elections. Cllr Marshall will also oversee the Equalities and Community Development agenda as an Executive Member.
The new administration will include a further five Liberal Democrat and three Conservative Executive Members to lead key areas of the council's work. The new Partnership Administration also aims to change the Scrutiny function - which allows councillors from all parties to look in-depth at the council's work. They propose to establish five standing committees at the next council meeting.
A further change sees the Mayor's position rotated between the political parties annually. Cllr Jill Fraser (Lib Dem) was voted in as this year's Mayor, with Cllr Dawn Somper (Con) as Deputy Mayor.
Cllr Keith Moffitt, Leader of Camden Council said:
"We look forward to implementing key elements of our agenda, including a greater commitment to protecting the environment, tackling crime and bringing decision making closer to local residents, in a socially liberal framework".
Cllr Marshall added:
"Our key priorities - for example on greater efficiency in the council, and on higher standards in our housing service - are firmly represented in the Partnership Administration's agreed priorities, which we will be working hard to achieve over the next four years."
The Partnership Administration is intended to be for the lifetime of the present council (2006-2010) but will cease in the event of any political party achieving an overall majority on the council.
Notes to editors:
For further information on the Liberal Democrat/Conservative Partnership Administration Agreement please contact:
- Liberal Democrats: Cllr Keith Moffitt on 07768 567889 or Ed Fordham on 07974 950512
- Conservatives: Cllr Andrew Marshall on 07808 579563 or Cllr Martin Davies on 07799 418355
The new appointments to the council are as follows:
- Leader: Cllr Keith Moffitt (Liberal Democrat)
- Deputy Leader and Executive Member for Equalities and Regeneration: Cllr Andrew Marshall (Conservative)
- Mayor: Cllr Jill Fraser (Liberal Democrat)
- Deputy Mayor: Cllr Dawn Somper (Conservative)
- Executive Member for Resources: Cllr Janet Grauberg (Liberal Democrat)
- Executive Member for Community Safety: Cllr Ben Rawlings (Liberal Democrat)
- Executive Member for Environment: Cllr Mike Greene (Conservative)
- Executive Member for Culture: Cllr Flick Rea (Liberal Democrat)
- Executive Member for Children: Cllr John Bryant (Liberal Democrat)
- Executive Member for Schools: Cllr Andrew Mennear (Conservative)
- Executive Member for Housing: Cllr Chris Naylor (Liberal Democrat)
- Executive Member for Adult Social Care and Health: Cllr Martin Davies (Conservative)
You can download a document with the full listing of appointments:
020 7974 5716