Homophobic crime

Homophobic and transphobic crime

Homophobic and transphobic abuse and harassment are criminal acts. 

That means we can take action against people who are homophobic or transphobic.

Homophobic and transphobic crime is any incident where there is overt evidence that the perpetrator's motivation is based on their perception that the victim is lesbian, gay or transgender (LGBT) or because the victim perceives this to be the case.

Homophobic and transphobic crime can take many forms, including:

  • physical violence and/or harassment
  • bullying and threats
  • sexual abuse/rape
  • blackmail and hate mail.

It is often difficult for victims or witnesses of homophobic crime and transphobic crime to talk about it or ask for help. It is estimated that over 85% of homophobic crimes go unreported.

We want to do something about that by giving victims several ways to get the support they need, and witnesses a variety of ways to report what they have seen.

Reporting homophobic crime to the police

To report crime in an emergency dial 999.

Non-urgent calls can also be made to the LGBT liaison team in the Community Safety Unit (CSU) at Holborn police station.

Staff at the CSU are trained to provide support to victims of hate crime, regardless of where an attack took place, whether in a victim’s home, on the street, or on a known cruising ground.

The CSU is able to:

  • investigate the crime and enforce the law
  • support the victim to apply for injunctions or Anti Social Behaviour Orders
  • give advice and support
  • refer to other agencies for additional support.

For more information please contact the community safety unit

Non-police reporting

We recognise that some people do not want to talk to the police, even police who work in CSUs. Because of this a large number of homophobic crimes go unreported. If crimes are not reported no one knows they are happening.

Camden LGBT Forum

Camden Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Forum provides non-police reporting, and works to support victims of hate crimes and homophobic harassment.

Camden LGBT Forum has produced a method of reporting crimes so that the police do not have to be involved. By using the non-police reporting form you can tell us about where crimes are happening and we can try to do something about it.

If you ask us to, we will pass the information about your crime anonymously on to the Police.

For more information please contact the Camden lesbian gay bisexual and transgender forum

Council tenants and leaseholders

If you are a Council tenant or leaseholder you can report any homophobic or transphobic harassment to your ward housing team. They will take a report, and if necessary involve other Council teams and the police.

Contact your ward housing team

Victim Support in Camden

Victim Support in Camden has a dedicated homophobic and transphobic crime worker.

Victim Support in Camden provides free and confidential support and advice.

If you have been victim you can refer yourself to directly to Victim Support without going to the police.

Contact Victim Support in Camden

Community safety team

The community safety team works closely with the police, other council departments, Camden’s LGBT Forum and voluntary agencies to ensure they have a broad understanding of current LGBT community safety concerns.

For more information please contact the community safety team

Would you like to provide feedback?(Click to show feedback form)

Please rate this page to help us improve camden.gov.uk. Please don't include your contact details as we are unable to provide responses via this form. To get in touch please click here.

Please select one of the options.

Thank you for your feedback.