Introduction to housing grants and loans

These pages contain information concerning the Housing Renewal Assistance Policy 2016-2020.

Grants and loans known as House Renewal Assistance are available for repairs and improvements to homeowners, landlords and private tenants living in Camden:

Unfortunately we cannot offer any help if you are a council or housing association tenant - please contact your housing team

What can I get help with?

The type of work for which you may get financial assistance, either a grant or a loan, includes:

  • adaptations and facilities to help disabled people live independently in their home
  • repairs and improvements to protect the occupiers' health, safety and security.
  • repairs and improvements to protect the occupiers' health and safety and make the premises wind and weatherproof
  • energy efficiency measures such as central heating, insulation, solar water heating
  • environmentally friendly works
  • grants to landlords of bedsit and hostel-type properties
  • works to bring empty properties back into residential use and/or convert existing properties to provide additional accommodation

The assistance available will depend on the type of works to be carried out and ownership and occupation of the property. It may be possible to receive more than one type of assistance in some cases.

This is an outline of the types of assistance available:

Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG)

A mandatory grant to assist disabled people to modify their homes to allow them to live independently. This grant is also available for landlords.

Health and Safety Grant

A grant for small-scale works of repair to reduce health and safety risks to the property.

Security Grant

A grant for small-scale works to make the property more secure.

Relocation Grant

A grant to help applicants move to more suitable accommodation.

Energy Efficiency and Eco Grant

A grant to help you make your home more  energy efficient

Landlord Grant

A grant to landlords of bedsits and hostels to voluntarily carry out improvement works to their property to meet the minimum Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Standards, as well as installing energy efficient measures and door entry systems.

Housing Supply Grant

A grant to increase the supply of residential accommodation by bringing empty properties back into use or the conversion of a dwelling to provide additional accommodation.

How to I apply?

If you make an initial enquiry one of our officers will contact you within 10 days.

Please note

The availability of assistance may change at any time without notice. We cannot guarantee any grant or loan until you have received the written formal approval document. Grants cannot be paid towards the cost of any work carried out before the grant is formally approved.

We will not be liable for any costs incurred in an unsuccessful application.

Would you like to provide feedback?(Click to show feedback form)

Please rate this page to help us improve Please don't include your contact details as we are unable to provide responses via this form. To get in touch please click here.

Please select one of the options.

Thank you for your feedback.