Appealing against a decision

If you are unhappy with a decision that we have made concerning a planning application that you have submitted or an enforcement notice that you have been served, you can launch an appeal.

The information below will help you understand what types of decisions can be appealed, who can make an appeal and how an appeal can be submitted.

What types of decisions can be appealed?

The following types of decisions can be appealed against:

  • a refusal of planning permission or consent
  • conditions attached to a planning permission
  • a decision not being made within eight weeks of us receiving a valid application (known as “non-determination”)
  • an enforcement notice

Appeals are only intended as a last resort. The case officer may be able to suggest changes that you could make to your planning application in order to make it more acceptable or suggest remedial work that you could complete where you have breached planning regulations.

Who can appeal against a decision?

Only the person who submitted a planning application or has been served an enforcement notice has the right of appeal.

Under planning law, neighbours or other people affected by a planning application have no right of appeal against a decision. Therefore, if you disagree with a proposed development, it is very important that you make your feelings known before any decision is made.

How do I appeal against a decision?

If you want to appeal against a decision, you must submit your complaint to the Planning Inspectorate (PINS). They will complete a through investigation and make an independent judgement on whether any decision should be amended.

How do I view details of current and decided appeals?

You can comment on a current appeal online through the Planning Portal. If the appeal is being made under the householder process you do not have the opportunity to comment but any comments made about the original application will be taken into account.

Where can I find out further information?

Would you like to provide feedback?(Click to show feedback form)

Please rate this page to help us improve Please don't include your contact details as we are unable to provide responses via this form. To get in touch please click here.

Please select one of the options.

Thank you for your feedback.