Support for local suppliers
Local business procurement support
We are committed to supporting local small and medium sized enterprises and voluntary and community organisations to give them the opportunity to tender for private and public sector contracts. Our Camden First programme aims to give local suppliers the best opportunity to secure contract opportunities when we do business.
Why local procurement?
We favour local procurement because:
- There are several major regeneration projects under way and billions of pounds of external investment is coming into Camden
- local companies generally employ local people - that's good for everyone
- it helps to reinvest in the local economy
- there are environmental benefits such as less congestion and pollution
- it helps to diversify supply chains to support businesses owned by people from ethnic minorities, women, disabled people.
What types of support are on offer?
Our approach can offer your business a range of support to help you become 'fit to supply' to us and the organisations we work with.
The free support available under the project includes:
- regular alerts on public sector contracts such as Olympic, Crossrail and Camden Council opportunities
- signposting to workshops covering a range of topics including supplying to the public sector, how to write a good tender and how to get environmental and other accreditations
- signposting to business support organisations who can help you become fit to supply with workshops and one to one support inclusion on our local procurement supplier directory
- 'Meet the Buyer' events where you can meet big buyers looking to procure from local small and medium businesses.
- to register for opportunity alerts and upcoming events contact the economic development team
What do you need to do to be 'fit to supply'?
Some criteria you need to start considering in order to be 'fit to supply' public sector contracts are:
- an equality and diversity policy
- an environmental policy and environmental management accreditation
- a health and safety policy
- business continuity and risk planning
- a quality assurance policy
- a data protection policy
- employer's liability insurance